Sunday, September 1, 2013

FitBit vs. FuelBand

I've been on a health challenge with the friends, and I've been using my phone to track my progress! I love Map My Run for monitoring my morning jogs, and even use it's nutrition features to log what I've eaten (OK - I only do that some days... if ever). But I do like that the app has a feature that allows me to see how many calories are in certain items, and it's really nice to finally delete all the other nonsense apps that do pretty much the same thing! Now, it's all in one: from calories consumed to workouts completed and weight tracked, I'm seriously into Map My Run. The best part, you ask? I get weekly congratulatory emails telling me how great I am and that I've been killing my workouts. Seems silly, but hey! At least someone's noticing.

Anyways, as much as I love the app and having everything easily accessible via smartphone, I decided it's time to look into the concept of the fitness arm band. Many friends of mine are either sporting the Fit Bit or the Nike Fuel Band, and they swear by it. Personally, I think the things are hideous and can't quite get over the thought of wearing such a fashion faux-pas all day, everyday. But if the health benefits are truly there, and they help me to stay on track, could it be worth it? Let me know what you think based on the research below!

Fit Bit
Cost: $99.95

Pros: Colors, Tracks Sleep, Acts as an Alarm
Cons: Doesn't have screen, Doesn't act as a watch

In my opinion, this is for sure the cuter of the two. The light up "tracker" is actually removable, and you can switch it out for the colorful accessory bands pictured! The band tracks steps, distance, and calories burned. Your daily progress automatically interfaces with the Fitbit Website or App, where you can also log food consumed and see how this correlates with daily activity and ultimately impacts your long term goals. The band also measures how long and how well you sleep, and even has a silent alarm to get you going again in the AM! (Haven't you always wondered how many REM cycles you go through, or how restful your sleep really was?) Fitbit also sponsors a sharing platform where you can compare progress to that of your friends and family. Another cool plus: Fit Bit has partnered up with these apps, allowing you to export your Fit Bit data their way if you're already a long time user (and lover) of one of these other programs!

Nike Fuel Band
Cost: $149

Pros: Has screen, acts as a watch, interfaces with advanced Nike technology
Cons: Doesn't track sleep

Definitely the uglier, more expensive cousin, if you ask me. But the Nike Fuel Band has awesome reviews, and everyone really seems to love it. In addition to tracking calories burned and steps taken, the thing acts as a watch and actually has a screen that shows your results throughout the day! (The Fit Bit doesn't have a screen and requires you to look at the App or Website to see your progess) The Fuel Band also has the App and Website interface, and also allows you to join the social realm and compare progress with friends and family. The advanced Nike + FuelBand Mobile App works in conjunction with the band to yield optimum results. Downside: as far as I can tell, this one doesn't track sleep or act as an alarm.


Conclusion?
I'm still torn. Not sure if these puppies are worth the money or the ugly arm candy. For now, my phone works just fine, though the thought is on my mind and with the holidays approaching, I might have to make a decision and add one of these bands to my wish list! 

No comments:

Post a Comment