Friday, September 6, 2013

Easiest Iced Coffee... PLUS, Froth Your Own Milk!!

Have you ever desperately wanted a delicious, frothy iced coffee, only to realize your Starbucks card is empty and that you're over spending $4 on your morning pick-me-up? OH WAIT... that's EVERYday. I realized that making coffee at home is not only cheaper and time efficient, but it's way healthier (I recently found out that my favorite holiday latte contains a whopping FIVE PUMPS of syrup!! FIVE?! Get OUT!!). That being said, a fancy coffee machine is pricey in itself, and I've heard the argument that depending how often you use it, it might not net out either. Ohhh for coffee problems. If you're okay with the office coffee pot and a dash of freeze-dried creamer, I praise your simplicity... but seriously, there's a world of gourmet deliciousness out there that can really bring such simple joy to your life! The sequence below gives you no reason NOT to indulge.

1. Start with your favorite coffee K-Cup (I decided to use a Keurig because they've gotten so popular and affordable that they are for sure the best do-it-yourself coffee option out there. Plus, there's like an infinity of options for K-Cups, so you'll never find yourself at a loss for new coffee, latte, or tea flavors! In my opinion, a lot of the pre-made latte cups are way too sweet and taste a little fake, so I like to make my own! ALSO, on a side note, Keurig Machines are now going to be SOUP COMPATIBLE!? Say WHAT! This is the best news since the invention of the Keurig Machine itself! I can't wait to make some tomato soup this winter as an afternoon snack in my mug at the office!)

2. It's time to FROTH YOUR MILK! I like to do this with almond milk while I let the coffee sit for a second to cool. You can use whatever proportion of coffee vs. milk vs. ice that you like, just remember that it's better to make a small strong shot of coffee so that your drink is nice and cold when you add the milk and ice. Anyways, to frothing your own milk! I thought it was a joke when I read it for the first time but the best thing to do if you don't have a fancy espresso / milk frothing machine is to shake milk in a water bottle really fast for a minute! (extra bonus: this doubles as a workout!) You might laugh, but it totally works. I had just a little bit of almond milk left, so I kept it in the box to shake it (otherwise an empty water bottle works just fine!)




3. Throw some ice into your cup of hot coffee, and top it with your frothed milk!



4. Add a tablespoon of Vanilla Extract for a delicious hint of vanilla (this lets you avoid high calorie creamers and sugar!)



AND VOILA! Enjoy!!




No comments:

Post a Comment